The German term Schießbefehl (“firing order”) was the common term to refer to Befehl 101 (Order 101), a standing order that instructed border patrols of the former German Democratic Republic (GDR or East Germany) to “prevent border penetration by all means and kill the violators”…
The GDR border troops (Grenztruppen der DDR), who were not formally integrated in the regular armed forces (the Nationale Volksarmee), were instructed to follow a certain procedure when encountering persons moving illegally within the border strip:
- First, to call out “Halt, stehenbleiben, oder ich schieße!” (“Stop, stand still or I will shoot”).
- Next, to fire a warning shot; typically the border police carried Kalashnikov AK-47 assault rifles.
- Finally, if the fugitive failed to comply, an aimed shot, preferably aimed at the legs, was to be fired to stop the person.
» Bristle Welcomes Careful DriversThanks for passing through; take your litter home and please, no spitting.
» Recently Posted
- Shellshock & Awe – kiddie edition
- My tenth Twitter birthday
- Umbrellas out
- Really good documentary films online for free
- Taiga, taiga, burning bright: the Lykovs of Siberia
- Radio ramblings: on Interference FM and the need for mass communications to sustain mass movements
- Judgement on Trumpton..?
- Wikipediaphile: Gadsden flag
- Trump inauguration – all a bit Rexall ‘N’ Effect
- Community policing, Bristol fashion
- '1-4-8-8 Autobahn'? Something by Alterkampfered Image? twitter.com/Scriblit/statu… 14 hours ago
- RT @Football_Legal: For fans who don’t get legal representation at the police station, at least get legal advice when you come out.. ! 033… 15 hours ago
- I think in the current post Weinstein climate a grimy tale of douchey movie folk just about hits the spot twitter.com/mjanetmars/sta… 16 hours ago
- @mistergrist I wonder if sweary panels in Asterix books have been relettered in recent years with this in mind? 17 hours ago
- @LovelyLee_G Nice one! Sadly I sold off my Thunder and Hurricane (and lots of other) annuals when times were tough… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 17 hours ago
» WHINE LIST
» Meta puma coming through the rye
» Tatty Bye!