I came across a project called CllrTweeps earlier today. It intends “to compile the definitive list of UK councillors on Twitter, no more, no less.”
I noticed that there were no Bristol City Council members listed, so I emailed one of my ward councillors, Jon Rogers (LibDem), with the link. I pointed out that currently I know more about Northern Irish municipal affairs via Twitter than I do about what is going on in my own city by ‘normal’ means.
Anyway, Jon has now joined Twitter, so we shall see. I have also emailed local Green councillor Charlie Bolton to see if he was interested.
Obviously neither blogging nor twittering is a substitute for actual local democracy and accountability, but having spent the best part of two months reporting the same blocked drain to the council (officers, not councillors, I hasten to add), I am game to try anything.
Local councillors, MPs and other politicos now on Twitter:
- cllr Alex Woodman: CllrAlexWoodman (Cabot ward, LibDem)
- James Barlow: JamesBarlow (Conservative constituency chairman, Bristol West)
- cllr Jon Rogers: CllrJonRogers (Ashley ward, LibDem)
- Kerry McCarthy MP: KerryMP (Bristol East constituency, Labour)
- cllr Mark Bradshaw: mark_bradshaw (Bedminster ward, Labour)
- Paul Smith: BristolWestPaul (prospective Parliamentary candidate, Bristol West, Labour)
- cllr Sean Beynon: seanbeynon (Southville ward, Labour)
- cllr Terry Cook: terryrobc (Avonmouth ward, Labour)