I originally posted up the following as a comment accompanying a link to the video on Ian Bone’s blog, but seeing as someone else has cross-posted the text elsewhere, I might as well add it here too:
There is a very clear video of the police violently wading into the hippies at the climate camp on Bishopsgate up on IndyMedia.
Whatever you or I might think of the politics of the climate camp, or indeed of fundamentalist non-violence, the video lays bare the function of the police force in all its naked, violent, powermonger-protecting glory.
And the individuals who choose to join the police, who then – day by day, situation by situation – choose to carry out orders which include, as here, acting as an anonymous, homogenous bloc of brute force, beating, bloodying, slavering over peaceniks who don’t even defend themselves despite the shields and the batons, well… I think we all know what sort of people they are. I think we all know how big and brave they are when they face anything resembling a fair fight.
My posts on G20:
Monday 30th March
- G20 terror plot foiled! Or, How The Police Justify Their Existence With Loud Headlines Now (Quiet Apologies Later)
Tuesday 31st March
- The G20 Bomb Plot (That Isn’t A Bomb Plot) Trundles On!
- Sinister tycoon funds incitement to riot over G20 summit!
Thursday 2nd April
Friday 3rd April
Sunday 5th April
Tuesday 7th April
- The Guardian: ‘Police murdered Ian Tomlinson’
- Q: How many laughing policemen does it take to kill an innocent bystander?
- Police medics: Just out creating demand
- Alexis, Ian; Athens, London – wherever you are, wherever you go, a cop is a cop is a cop